This woman is one of my favorite women to photograph! I love having her in front of my camera, but more importantly in my life!! I’ll leave this post to her:
(PS – This is one of my FAVORITE photos I have ever taken!)
1) Why did you decide to invest in a boudoir photo shoot? I’ve had a personal shoot and one group shoot in the past, so it was a no-brainer to do this again. At this time in my life, I was coming from a pretty dark place: I lost my dad earlier in the year and was grasping to solidify my identity and affirm my personal value in the absence of this person I loved fiercely who had made such an indelible impact; it was daunting. I had done a lot of soul searching and had been hung up trying to determine my legacy, my place, my tribe. What I really needed then was a day of self-indulgence and self-love, which I knew a shoot with Maura would deliver. I just wanted some levity and to refill my cup, metaphorically speaking.
2) How did you feel about yourself before your photo shoot? Honestly, not terrible. I was/still am struggling with accepting some noticeable weight gain, but if there’s one thing I’ve learned from being a part of Maura’s tribe, it’s that I’m (we’re! – all of us!) beautiful no matter what. Beauty comes from believing that and carrying myself with integrity and pride. I don’t always get it right, but I know it’s really just that simple when I get down to it. I embraced the day and decided I would be fearless and own it.
3) How did you feel about yourself after your photo shoot? Like a rockstar! I mean, Maura has that effect on everyone, but this was a particularly uplifting day. She let me have some creative license, she directed me, she hooted and hollered. It was really a dream come true. But, to be fair, that’s how it always is. Plus, I got to wear a killer pair of turquoise heels with vintage skulls I owned but have never worn and my husband’s old band tee in homage to him. I can’t quite put the day into words! I got to tap into many, many aspects of my persona in an authentic way.
4) Describe your session in 3 words? Empowering, frenetic, creative
5) What was your favorite part of the boudoir photo shoot? I really wanted a glitter bum, which I had seen on Insta, and she let me totally demolish her bathroom floor while I attempted to shellac myself in glitter. I know this was a special exception because I am a return client who was passionate about trying this out, but she totally ran with it. The final result, despite my failures to achieve what I wanted to as my own makeup artist, were quite stunning. (Maura Note: I can’t show you these photos because, well, nipple! Your nipples, your business)
6) What would you say to other women who are considering a boudoir photo shoot? I’ve said it before, what are you waiting for? When I first did a shoot, it was for my 10-year-anniversary, but the final product and result were really all for me, much to my surprise. This shoot was totally for me, and I was reminded that even when I can’t see the beauty in my own body, it’s still there! Her eyes (and her periodic screams) say it all.